Categories
Uncategorized

reflective essay

The politics of language, it has been discussed a couple of times throughout this semester, which goes to say what exactly is the politics of language? The politics of Language can be described as the way language and linguistic differences between people are dealt with. It can also be defined as the way someone uses language to express themselves or to persuade. When I first heard the phrase the politics of language in the first phase I had no idea what it meant, but I assumed it had something to do with the political arena. Going into phase 4, I now know there is more to the meaning of this phrase than just politics.  

After reading our various reflection response assignments I was able to engage more with the politics of language and I realized that everyone has their own perception of what language means. One of the reflection assignments given to us that ties into the politics of language was novelist Toni Morrison’s Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech. Listening to Morrison’s speech she talks about the power of language and understanding it. In her speech Toni tells a story that centers around an old black woman that is blind who lives outside of town. The woman is visited by children who have come to her to ask her a question, her answer rides solely on her difference from them. The question they ask her is “ is the bird i am holding alive or dead?”. As someone who doesn’t have one of her senses, one of her senses she can rely on is her intuition. She knows what the children’s motive is, she cannot see it but she can sense it. Their motive was to disprove the old woman’s clairvoyance and expose her for the fraud they think she is. The woman answers the child by saying she does not know whether it is alive or dead but whatever the answer is, it is

now their responsibility.  The children ask her a question again and before she answers, she decides to stay silent. The woman’s silence here represents how sometimes language cannot fulfill the feeling, sentiment,or scenario, and silence is more powerful than saying anything.  

Something I found interesting while listening to her speech was when Morrison said she thinks of language as a system. Language has fixed words and we rely on it to communicate with each other. On the other hand, Morrison also believes language is alive, it has so many influences from around the world, and it is constantly changing and adapting. Morrison says oppressive language does more than represent violence, it is violence. Sexist racist theistic languages are all examples of violent derogatory languages given by Morrison that enforce bad ideas and dont permit any new knowledge.  Toni mentioning these types of languages shows the connection language can have to violence as they have derogatory words in it that can affect how people feel and end up hurting them emotionally. Just because you say something bad to someone and it doesn’t hurt them physically doesn’t mean they weren’t hurt emotionally.  

Toni Morrison’s speech was meant to appeal to an audience willing to listen about the power language has  and further develop what their idea is on language. After reflecting upon Morrison’s speech,  I learned how impactful language can be on the speaker and listener, reader or writer.  Going into phase 4 I further understand how language not only serves to function as a communicative tool but  it’s used to connect with others. Throughout this course these assignments helped me form a new perception of what language means and further expand my knowledge on the politics of language. Language isn’t just about speaking words but also about understanding it. Language can create and destroy, it can connect many people but it also has the ability to hurt people. It is important that we as a society learn the importance of language and try to understand how language can affect the people around us. Language is crucial to how we create bonds with other people, it’s what motivates and drives us in our lives. Through language it is how we express the inexpressible. We should all be able to freely express ourselves through language and not take away from our differences.